Wednesday 1 March 2017

Dell Uses Recycled Ocean Plastics To Make Packaging Tray For Laptop

Dell's 2020 goal of using 50 million pounds of recycled materials in its products has already been reached. As reported by Business StandardDell has announced that its pilot program has delivered the technology industry’s first trays with 25 percent recycled ocean plastic content. recycled collected from waterways and beaches for use in the new tray for its XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop, building on Dell’s broader sustainable supply chain strategy. In 2017, its ocean pilot will keep 16,000 pounds of plastic from entering the ocean.


will transition its award-winning XPS 13 2-in-1 to ocean beginning April 30, 2017. The company also will include educational information on its to raise global awareness and action on ocean ecosystem health solutions, an area of shared interest between Dell, its Social Good Advocate, Adrian Grenier and the Lonely Whale Foundation. 

To help ensure the does not end up back in the oceans, will stamp each tray with the No. 2 recycling symbol, designating it as HDPE (which is commonly recyclable in many locations). Dell’s team designs and sources its product to be more than 93 percent recyclable by weight so that it can be reused as part of the circular economy.

The ocean supply chain process is made of multiple stages. Dell’s partners intercept ocean at the source in waterways, shorelines and beaches before it reaches the ocean. It then processes and refines the used plastics, mixes the ocean plastic (25 percent) with other recycled HDPE (the remaining 75 percent) from sources like bottles and food storage containers. Finally, it moulds the resulting recycled plastic flake into new trays and ship the trays for final and customer delivery.

Dell’s pilot program follows a successful feasibility study launched March 2016 in Haiti. The company has a long history of incorporating sustainable and recycled materials into its products and  Since 2008, has included post-consumer recycled in its desktops, and as of January 2017, reached its 2020 goal of using 50 million pounds of recycled materials in its products. 

Increasingly, the company’s focus has been on delivering in a circular way - where materials from someone else’s waste stream can be used as inputs into products and  was the first - and continues to be the only - to offer computers and monitors that contain e-waste and recycled carbon fibre.

In partnership with Adrian Grenier and the Lonely Whale Foundation, has helped to increase understanding of ocean health issues, using virtual reality technology to bring people closer to the issues facing the oceans. A recent study¹ reported between 4.8 and 12.7 million metric tons of mismanaged plastic waste entered the ocean in 2010 alone. has published a white paper on sourcing strategies and plans to convene a cross-industry working group that will address ocean on a global scale.

Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: